Hello sexists, we’re here to introduce you to casual sexism. While you were falling asleep, we decided to take note of all things sexist that casually creep into a woman’s life. Women face sexism and harassment on a day to day basis, right from when they scroll through the internet to when they step out of their house. Identifying the grey zones in sexism can be hard, but it occurs constantly, right in front of our eyes. The worst part is though, is that we trivialise it. Casual sexism is so ingrained in today’s culture that it often goes unnoticed. We’re bringing it to notice.
1. Waiters hands over the menu to the ‘men’ in the table
Like, women aren’t capable enough to choose what they want to eat or pay for their food.
2. Women are called out for speaking out loud. Men aren’t
Women too can voice out their opinions in whatever tone they want.
3. The best meat is given to the male in the family
Yes, it still happens.
4. You’re asked, “Don’t you know how to cook?” many a times
So many times that it has become unbearable now.
5. Filtering the clothes your wear because there are creepy people in the world
When did protecting oneself become all about the clothes we wear?
6. When women are married off early because they’re women
*Slow clap* What a logic!
7. Tired of hearing – Why are you PMSing? – every time you’re cranky?
Dear men (and women), it’s time to stop asking this, seriously.
8. Siting strategically in an uncomfortable manner in public transport
Uguh! We can sit however we want.
9. Parents impose curfews for women, not for men
Because women can get raped and groped after 7 pm.
10. Catcalled by brainless men
That’s casual sexism, right there!
Are there other casually sexist incidents you’d like to share? Tell us in the comments section below!